In 1848, the first psychiatric hospital in the Netherlands was built. The original plan, a rectangular, closed complex intended for 250 patients was designed by architect & landscape architect, J.D. Zocher Jr. In the following 150 years of usage it got many extensions and alterations and once counted nearly 1300 inhabitants.
From 1996 the building was vacant and deteriorating rapidly. In 2015 our office started planning the renovation of this (rijks)monument.